Monday, February 9, 2015

Meet your Savior: Text Based Evidence

Here's a brief glimpse into what unfolds after I explain I want questions to be restated on assignments: "
Me: "Restate your question in your answer"
Them:  "What? What do you mean Mrs. Roberts? How do I do that?" "Did we learn that?"
Me: "Where did this answer come from?" "You have to tell where you found this in the text."
Them: "What do you mean?" "I found it in the story" "I found it here" (while pointing all over)

Clearly, things weren't working! Somewhere between what I said in class and what they were doing at home or during study hall got lost in translation and was causing everyone major frustration because they truly didn't get what I was wanting. This all changed thanks to an awesome product from Ms. Leslie Ann Rowland also a 5th grade teacher in the lovely state of Alabama (Click to see her blog). When she put out here Comprehension pack on TPT I couldn't get my hands on it fast enough because I knew this is what I had been looking for all along and just didn't realize it. I needed something that would require my students to read a text and be able to cite evidence from it and to tell where they got their evidence from. BAM, this is it. So, this brings me to the every other night reading logs I have been using for homework. I have to be honest, they love it and so do I. What a great win-win for everyone. In these folders I put the log on the front and some instructions for them on the back. Each night as they read they are required to:

- Highlight where they found the answer in the text
- Begin each answer with the Evidence Based Text prompt located on their bookmark (corresponds with the bulletin board in the room)
- Highlight where they used the prompt to begin each question
- Make corrections from the previous Reading Log based on what I have highlighted for them


I also started having students go back and correct questions for a couple reasons (see picture below) because I want to make sure they aren't "getting away" with not giving me their best work. Sure, it would be easier to not start with an evidence prompt or highlight the prompt so they know they used it and get points off. But I don't let that happen. Yes, points will be taken off for not following the guidelines, but they better believe they will still be fixing mistakes. Now, they know it's just worth it to put in the effort the first time around rather than have to correct later.
[ I use the yellow highlighter to let students know something needs to be corrected. They use the orange guidelines on the back of their folder to assess what will need correcting. All corrections go directly on the back of this page.]


Not only has this increased the quality of responses on these isolated homework assignments, it has transferred to other work where students are asking "Can I highlight where I found my answer?" "Is it alright if I start my question with an evidence prompt?" UMM, LET ME THINK ABOUT THAT. YES!! As a bonus for the teachers, they're super easy to take up, quickly read through, and let students know where corrections need to be made.

 [ In the folders I keep all past logs stapled together, text based evidence book mark, and a character trait sheet for reference] 

Until next time, keep it real.


No comments:

Post a Comment